Shrimp Toast, a Recipe from the Tavern
A trip to Vietnam inspired Sous Chef Ian Benites to create this tasty recipe for Shrimp Toast, currently on the Tavern's appetizer menu and featured in our February Taverngram. These toasts are lightly fried to create a craveable, crunchy bite you'll love! Check out the recipe below:
1/3 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp garlic, grated
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 egg white
1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste if necessary
5 slices white or brioche bread, crusts removed
3 cups peanut or vegetable oil
sesame seeds (black or white), as garnish
1. Preheat frying oil in saucepan to 350F.
2. Place shrimp, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, egg whites and salt into the bowl of a food processor.
3. Process until a smooth paste has formed.
4. Using a butter knife or spatula, evenly spread a ¼ inch thick layer of the shrimp mixture onto one side of each piece of bread.
5. Sprinkle the shrimp side of each toast with sesame seeds.
6. Place each toast in hot frying oil, shrimp side down, and allow to cook for approximately 3 minutes.
7. Only cook a few shrimp toasts at a time, without crowding in the saucepan.
8. Flip toast over and finish frying for another 2 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and crispy.
9. Remove toast and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil, lightly season with salt and allow to rest for one minute before cutting each toast in half.
10. Enjoy with a dipping sauce of your choice. We recommend Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.
Interested in getting seasonal updates, recipes, and information on future events?
Sign up for our newsletter: